The Illinois Freedom of Information Act, or Illinois FOIA, is a series of laws designed to guarantee that the public has access to public records of government bodies at all levels in Illinois. The law was first enacted in 1984.
The latest law was enacted in August 2009, and went into effect on January 1, 2010. The Illinois FOIA is based on an assertion in the statute that access to “full and complete information regarding the affairs of government” is “necessary to enable the people to fulfill their duties of discussing public issues fully and freely, making informed political judgments and monitoring government to ensure that it is being conducted in the public interest.”
Office of the Attorney General offers a guide to frequently asked questions to assist the public in understanding the Freedom of information Act.
Click the link below to access the content on the Attorney General’s Website.
Also below is link to the text of the Freedom of Information Act itself as provided by the Attorney General’s Office Website
Please be specific in the nature of your request in order for FOIA officers to process your request more efficiently.
(Illinois law does not require you to submit on a standard form, but the request should be in writing).
Fees – $0.15 per page after first 50 pages of black and white paper copies on letter or legal paper, fees for the actual cost of color or abnormal sized copies may be charged.
- FOIA Request for Administration Building Maintenance
- FOIA Request for Animal Control
- FOIA Request for Board Of Review
- FOIA Request for Coroner
- FOIA Request for County Clerk and Recorder
- FOIA Request for Emergency Management Office - EMA
- FOIA Request for Geographic Information Systems - GIS
- FOIA Request for Health Department
- FOIA Request for Highway Department
- FOIA Request for Human Resources
- FOIA Request for Land Use
- FOIA Request for Regional Office of Education
- FOIA Request for Sheriff
- FOIA Request for States Attorney
- FOIA Request for Supervisor of Assessments
- FOIA Request for Technology
- FOIA Request for the Grundy County Board
- FOIA Request for Transit
- FOIA Request for Treasurer