Health Department


Health Services


At the Grundy County Health Department, we are committed to providing you with a wide range of essential health services to promote your well-being and the health of our community. Thank you for entrusting us with your well-being. Together, we’ll build a healthier Grundy County.

Mission: Preserving, Protecting, Promoting the health and well-being of Grundy County

Vision: Fostering Healthy People, Thriving Communities, and Vibrant Futures

Health Department Services

Grundy County Health Department accepts the following insurance plans for most medical services offered: Medicare, Medicaid, BCBS of IL PPO, BCBS Blue Choice, BCBS MCO, Aetna MCO, Meridian MCO, Molina MCO, Humana MMAI and United Healthcare (Nursing Services Only). Clients are encouraged to contact their specific insurance carrier to determine plan benefits. Clients are ultimately responsible for all charges incurred for services rendered.


The Administration division consists of the Administrative Associate, Finance Associate, Office Coordinator, Outreach and Education Coordinator and Safety & Emergency Response Coordinator. All work closely with the Administrator and the other divisions to ensure financial accountability, information technology viability and general department functions. For inquires, comments, questions, or concerns, please email the front desk and please include your name, phone number, and brief message.

Michelle Pruim, MBA Administrator 815-941-3113

Laura Wells Director of Environmental Health 815-941-3127

Darcy Jasien, LCPC Director of Behavioral Health 815-941-3140

Brandon Mabrey​  Safety & Emergency Response Coordinator 815-941-6818

Katie Harrison, RN Director of Nursing 815-941-3126

Megan Black Office Coordinator 815-941-3413

Tania Schwer, DrPH, MPH Director of Senior Programs 815-941-3422


Kathryn Harrison, RN. Nursing Director The Nursing Division provides services directed to improving and maintaining the physical health of county residents. For more information on the following services, please call (815) 941-3404 • Blood PressureCommunicable DiseaseFamily Case Management (FCM) Fluoride Varnish TreatmentImmunizationTuberculosis TestingWIC •  For inquires, comments, questions, or concerns, please email the front desk and please include your name, phone number, and brief message.

Lead Program

Lead Case Management services are available for those families living in Grundy County with a child 0-15 years old. In the event blood work detects lead levels at 5 ug/dL or higher in your child’s blood, a public health nurse will reach out to the parent or caregiver to conduct an interview and aid in helping the family remove possible causes of the blood lead. The health department offers blood lead testing services by appointment. Lead testing involves a poke to the child’s finger or heel and the sample being sent out to the Illinois Department of Public Health lab for processing. Results generally available within a week and testing can be billed to Medicaid and other private insurances.

Families of Lead Exposed Children (

Childhood Lead Risk Questionnaire

Childhood Lead Exposure High Risk  Zip Codes

Blood Pressure

Clinic hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. No appointment necessary. Walk-in’s welcome. For more information, call (815) 941-3404.

Communicable Disease

Investigation and reporting of communicable diseases per Illinois Dept. of Public Health. Includes STD and HIV/AIDS.  Referral for testing and treatment. Call (815) 941-3404 for more information.

Mandated reporters, such as health care providers, hospitals and laboratories, must report suspected or confirmed cases of the listed diseases to the local health department within the number of days or hours indicated in parentheses on the attached poster. Any reports of animal bites need to be immediately reported to Grundy County Animal Control at 815-942-9214.

Please see the below link for the complete list of Illinois Reportable Diseases.

Infectious Disease Reporting (

Mandated reporters, such as health care providers, hospitals and laboratories, must report suspected or confirmed cases of the listed diseases to the local health department within the number of days or hours indicated in parentheses on the attached poster. Any reports of animal bites need to be immediately reported to Grundy County Animal Control at 815-942-9214.

Illinois Department of Public Health Confidential Morbidity Report of Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Family Case Management

Family Case Management (FCM) services are for pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women and infants. The program includes medical and nutrition education, home visits, and resource referral information for the promotion of proper growth and development.

  • APORS (Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes Reporting System), a division of case management, supports infants born with specialized medical needs and provides early intervention services for any identified problems or delays. Infants and families in the APORS program will receive specialized visits from a public health nurse and follow up care for the first 2 years of the child’s life to address.
  • Healthworks program is specialized for foster families living in Grundy County with children up to age 6. HealthWorks case managers assist families in making sure that all routine medical, dental, and vision/hearing exams are completed at appropriate times for the child’s age. HealthWorks case managers are also available to assist in referrals for other local services that may be needed.

Fluoride Varnish Treatment

What is a Fluoride Varnish Treatment? In a short 15 minute visit, a clear sealant will be applied to help prevent cavities and strengthen teeth. The application and basic assessment of teeth will be done by a Public Health Nurse. THIS DOES NOT TAKE THE PLACE OF A DENTIST VISIT.

  • Recommended for ages 6 months to 35 months
  • Check with insurance carrier for coverage
  • Out of pocket cost is $30 per treatment


Vaccination is one of the best ways to be protected from 17 potentially harmful diseases. Vaccine-preventable diseases can be very serious, may require hospitalization, or even be deadly – especially in infants, young children and older adults. Learn more from the CDC.

 What diseases are prevented by vaccines?

  • Chickenpox (Varicella)
  • COVID-19
  • Diphtheria
  • Flu (Influenza)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Hib
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Polio
  • Pneumococcal
  • Rotavirus
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus
  • Whooping Cough

Child Immunizations

Vaccines are available to children aged 2 months to 19 years who are eligible for the VFC (Vaccines for Children) program and:

  • Are enrolled in Medicaid
  • Do not have insurance
  • Are underinsured (health insurance does not pay for immunizations)
  • American Indian or Alaskan Native

Adult Immunizations

Vaccines are available for all adults aged 19 and older. Both immunizations for children and adults are available by appointment on Tuesday and Thursday.

Additional Vaccine Information

Additional vaccine information may be found at the following websites:

Immunizations Birth Thru 18 years of age

Recommended Immunization Schedule for Persons Aged 0 Through 18 Years

United States

Please visit for complete immunization details and information (0-18yrs)

Catchup Immunizations

Catch-up Immunization Schedule

For persons age 4 months through 18 years who start late or who are more than 1 month behind — United States

Please visit for complete immunization details and information (0-18yrs)

Adult Immunizations

Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule, by Vaccine and Age Group

United States, 2018

Please visit for complete immunization details and information.

Tuberculosis Testing

TB skin tests (TST) are performed to determine exposure to the tuberculosis (TB) germ. The cost is $15.00 for a 1 step and $30.00 for a 2 step.  Must be available to have the test placed and return for the reading in 48-72 hours.

WIC – Women, Infants and Children’s nutrition program

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a nutrition program for pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5 who meet financial guidelines. WIC provides FREE educational information, referrals, and healthy foods to women and children. To see if you are eligible for WIC please click here or call our WIC office directly at 815-941-3118 to speak with our WIC Clerk. WIC clinic hours are 8am-4pm Monday through Friday. Other hours may be available by request.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


What foods are provided on WIC?

  • iron-fortified infant formula AND/OR breastfeeding help
  • milk
  • eggs
  • cheese
  • juice
  • cereal
  • beans
  • peanut butter
  • whole grains
  • tortillas
  • fruits and vegetables

Are you already enrolled in the WIC program and looking for the WIC website? For those families already on our WIC program and looking for the online education site we use, go to for education on nutrition, breastfeeding, and recipe ideas.


Laura Wells Environmental Health Director

Our role is to protect health that is based upon environmental influences. For information on the following services, please call 815-941-3115.  For inquires, comments, questions, or concerns, please email Laura Wells at and please include your name, phone number, and brief message.

Key Changes to the Illinois Food Code

If you would like to make a payment, please click HERE.

Environmental Health Fees As Of 12/1/2022


Environmental Health Ordinances

Environmental Health Ordinances

Food Establishment Inspections Results
Food Program and Permit Applications

The Environmental Health Division performs the following functions within the Food Sanitation Program:

  • Reviews and approves plans for new and the remodeling of existing facilities
  • Inspects and issues operating permits for all food handling and retail food store facilities
  • Reviews food handling procedures and issues permits for temporary events
  • Investigates foodborne illness reports and consumer complaints
  • Provides training courses for food service managers and employees


Permit Applications:

Click on the items below to view:

Additional Information:


Food and Water borne Illness Information:


Allergen Training and Information:

If you would like to make a payment, please click HERE.

(Code changes effective June 1,2012)


Cottage Food Operations:

The Cottage Food Operations Law went into effect on January 1, 2012. This new law allows certain foods made in home kitchens to be sold at local farmers’ markets with limited regulations.

Below are links to the Cottage Food Operation Law and the Technical Information Bulletin developed by the Illinois Department of Public Health.


In order to operate under this new law you must adhere to the following:

  1. Obtain the Certified Food Protection Manager Certification.
  2. Register with the Grundy County Health Department (or department where your home is located) annually.
  3. Follow all the requirements of the law.
  4. Post certificate of registration at all farmers’ markets that you participate in.

The following links may be useful to you: 


Helpful Hints:

  • Report suspected cases of foodborne illnesses to the Health Department promptly
  • Contact the Health Department regarding facility requirements before building, remodeling or purchasing a food service or retail food store facility


Guidelines for Food Service Facilities During and After a Boil Water Advisory:


Other General Information:

Boil Order Facts

MOLD and Your Health
Private Sewage Disposal

The Environmental Health Division performs the following functions within the Private Disposal System Program (aka Septic Systems):

  • Reviews proposed private sewage disposal system plans and applications.
  • Ensures the proposed system is of an appropriate type, sized adequately and located on the property to minimize the chance of future problems.
  • Issues permits for private sewage disposal systems that comply with code requirements.
  • Inspects the installation work performed on all private sewage disposal systems to ensure that the system is installed correctly.
  • Investigate complaints about malfunctioning systems, improper modifications and other problems related to private sewage disposal systems.

Click on the items below to view:


Helpful Hints:

  • In order to obtain a building permit you must have an approved water & sewage system permit. It takes at least 24 hours to review and process all private sewage disposal system permits.
  • Periodic pumping and inspection of a system’s tank(s) is essential to preventing premature failure of system.
  • Malfunctioning systems can expose the public to live bacteria and virus that can cause illnesses.
  • Should your septic system begin malfunctioning allowing sewage to come to the ground surface, contact a septic contractor, have the system pumped and evaluated to determine the type of corrective actions that are required. Permits are required for repairs to existing septic systems and those repairs should be done as soon as possible.
Potable Water Program

The Environmental Health Division performs the following functions within the Potable Water Program:

  • Reviews proposed locations for new private water wells to ensure that it is sufficiently remote from sources of pollution
  • Reviews well permit applications and processes permits
  • Inspects wells being sealed
Click on the items below to view:

Helpful Hints:

  • It takes at least 24 hours to review and process all private water well permit applications.
  • The proper sealing of an abandoned well helps prevent groundwater contamination. Wells that are abandoned or to be abandoned must be sealed by a licensed contractor or homeowner. A permit and fee is required and GCHD must be on-site to witness the procedure. Therefore, please call before you seal your well or have someone seal it for you.
  • Periodic sampling of your water is recommended for general coliform and nitrates.
  • Sterile water sample collection bottles are available at our office for no fee.
  • This generally costs in the area of $35 to $40 to have both tests completed.


Well and Septic Inspections for Home Sales

Property Transfer/Well and Septic Survey

The Environmental Health Division can provide you with information and assistance on the following property Transfer/Well and Septic issues:

If you are buying a home, undoubtedly there are many things that you are thinking about. How well the well and septic system is working may not be one of them. However, you should be, because an unknown or undetected problem with a septic system or a well can be a costly financial burden for a recent home buyer.

You can try to avoid encountering such a surprise by having a licensed contractor inspect the Well or Septic system. You will want any Information on file concerning this system, an inspection of the accessible components of the system and laboratory results of a water sample to help provide you greater insight into the history and current status of the systems.

If you have questions please contact the Environmental Health Office at 815-941-3115 and also contact a local contractor.​ To find a local contractor, please click here.


Smoke Free Illinois Act and Enforcment

The Environmental Health Division responds to complaints of violations of the Smoke Free Illinois Act (SFIA). The typical route by which we received complaints of these rules are through the State’s SFIA web-site (web address given below). All received complaints are investigated and violations documented for further follow up possibly including the issuance of citations.

• Smoke Free Illinois:

General Rules

The State of Illinois has passed a law prohibiting smoking inside any public place. This law went into effect on January 1, 2008. It was subsequently amended with those amendments going into effect on February 4, 2009. While the law covers a variety of issues, the following are some of the most basic issues that could affect those due to the non-compliance of others.

No one may smoke inside any public place

  • No one may smoke within 15 feet of the entrance to a public place
  • No one may smoke within 15 feet of a window that opens into a public place
  • No one may smoke within 15 feet of a window that opens into a public place
  • At each entrance a “No Smoking” sign must be posted at the place of employment or public place where smoking is prohibited. “No Smoking” signs must comply with the specification in the Smoke-free Illinois Act
  • All ashtrays must be removed from the facilities where smoking is prohibited

If you observe a violation of these standards, you can report that as a complaint. That information is given below.

Submit Complaints:

As of January 1, 2008, individuals can file a complaint by calling the Illinois Department of Public Health’s toll-free complaint line at 866-973-4646 (TTY 800-547-0466, hearing impaired use only) or on-line through the following Web site:

The complete Act and other information can be accessed through this same site.

Radon in Grundy County

Radon is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is produced by the decay of uranium and radium in the soil. This gas is naturally occurring and can be found at various levels throughout Illinois and Grundy County. The red areas indicate higher levels (above 4 pCi/L) of radon.

According to testing results provided by IEMA (Illinois Emergency Management Agency), 72 homes have been tested in Grundy County and 44% had results above 4 pCI/L.


  RadonHouseRadon rises through the soil and can enter buildings through small cracks in the foundation, gaps around pipes, or sump pits. Generally, there is a negative pressure inside our homes which can cause an upward suction on the soil gases.                 Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Non-smokers can be at risk of lung cancer from radon exposure. RadonPerson           Radon is the greatest source of radiation exposure to the general public. RadonChart Testing is the only way to determine the radon level of your home. We can help with interpreting radon test results. Call us at (815) 941-3115 if you have any questions regarding radon.   RadonKit Radon test kits, like the one shown here, can be found in most hardware stores, or ordered on-line. If you are looking at doing your own testing, you may find the information at this site helpful:     RadonGuidelines If you are involved in a real estate transaction and either considering having radon testing performed, or your property will be tested for radon, information to help you know what to expect can be found at this web-site:     RadonTesting   Related links: Here are a variety of links to additional publications and information about Radon

Radon Information

Radon Video Click Here

Healthy Homes Click Here

Tanning Program

The Environmental Health Division performs the following functions within the Tanning Bed Inspection Program:

Tanning Facilities Program

Tanning operations, which include all facilities providing consumers’ access to ultraviolet radiation emitting devices for cosmetic purposes, are required to make application for a permit to operate a tanning facility.

  • Grundy County Health Department conducts annual inspection of tanning facilities.
  • The inspection is done to ensure equipment is maintained and operated properly, and that operators overseeing its use are trained.
  • Health Department Inspectors may remove the units from service if they find that it’s operation may present a health hazard. The unit may not be allowed to be used until found to be in compliance upon re-inspection.
  • Regulations governing tanning bed licensing and operations
  • Grundy County Health Department’s Environmental Health Division recommends that if you are considering opening a tanning operation or adding tanning equipment to your operation that you contact us in advance to ensure that you understand the regulations and licensing process.
Body Art Program

The State of Illinois requires all establishments providing body art services such as tattooing, piercing, branding or scarification to be registered with the Department. Upon receipt of a completed application, an inspection is conducted to monitor compliance with the program. Renewal inspections are conducted annually or more often if warranted. Local Health Departments may contract with the Department to conduct the inspections in their jurisdiction.

Grundy County has an ordinance that addresses tattooing and body piercing and conducts the regulatory inspections for the State of Illinois. (Ear piercing is exempt from regulation).

Grundy County Tattoo and Body Piercing regulations

Body Art Technician Application

Report all unlicensed facilities due to possible disease transmission. i.e. HIV, Hepatitis B.

The Environmental Health Division provides the required training for tattoo and Body Piercing operators every year. If sufficient demand exists, additional class offerings will be considered. Please check the Tattoo and Body Art Class link for information about class offerings.

Department of Behavioral Health

Darcy Jasien, MS, LCPC Director of Behavioral Health

Our goal is to improve the mental and emotional well-being of our county residents, struggling with a mental illness and/or a substance abuse disorder. Our service goals focus on maintaining a stable life on an outpatient basis, improving daily functioning, and enhancing individual satisfaction in order to contribute socially and economically to the community.  For inquires, comments, questions, or concerns, please email the front desk and please include your name, phone number, and brief message.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)


Tania Schwer, DrPH, MPH, Senior Programs Director

Senior Programs provide information and community based programs designed to maintain health and assist residents aged 60+. For information on the following services, please call (815) 941-3121. * All services are for those aged 60 and above, and their caregivers. Grundy County offers a number of programs directed at preserving, protecting and promoting health for the senior citizens of Grundy County. If you need further assistance, please contact the Senior’s Division at (815) 941-3121.  For inquires, comments, questions, or concerns, please email the front desk and please include your name, phone number, and brief message.

Information Assistance and Referral (815) 941-3121

Provides information to seniors, their families and other community agencies on how to access programs, services and benefits available to older individuals. Information and assistance is available for Medicare, Medicaid, Benefit Asset, Pharmaceutical Assistance programs and Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP). These services are available at no cost.

Community Care Program (CCP)

On-staff care coordinators are available to provide consultations to assess an individual’s need, review service options, and develop a plan of care, free of charge- if eligible.  This program can also assist Seniors with basic household tasks and (for older persons who are moderately impaired), supervising: personal grooming and bathing.  These particular services are provided by an agency other than the health department.

Choices for Care

Provides a consultation to all nursing facility applicants who are age 60 and older to explore options for long term care which may include home and community-based services or nursing facility care. A comprehensive assessment helps identify needs, reviews service options and cost, and assists in developing a plan of care. A prospective nursing facility applicant can then choose services that are appropriate and affordable. Care Coordinators provide a free consultation to review service options.

Caregiver Support Group and Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Group

The Grundy County Caregiver Support Group meets on the first Tuesday of every month from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Grundy County Administration Building, 1320 Union Street, Morris.

This support group is for caregivers who are providing care to a senior who suffers from any type of physical or mental impairment such as Alzheimer Disease, Parkinson ‘s disease, or cancer.

The Grundy County Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Group meets on the first Thursday of every month from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. at the Grundy County Administration Building, 1320 Union Street, Morris.

This support group is for any grandparent/caregiver who is raising or is the primary caregiver to children under the age of 18.

For more information please contact the Health Department at 815-941-3404.

-Home Delivered Meals

Arranges home delivered meals for homebound seniors who are unable to shop, prepare meals, or attend a Senior Dining Center. After meals begin, a Care Coordinator from the Senior Programs Division makes a home visit (by appointment) to confirm eligibility and provide information on additional resources. To be eligible you must be homebound and have difficulty preparing meals. Income and assets are not considered when determining eligibility, but a donation towards the cost of the meals is requested.

Home delivered meals are authorized in those situations where a client is in need of a hot nutritious meal, and they are unable to prepare their own because of illness or disability. The meals and those individuals who volunteer to deliver those meals are coordinated through the Community Nutrition Network.


A qualified professional can provide counseling for aging issues such as illness, loss and grief, relationships, substance abuse, depression and other emotional problems. Call (815) 941-3404 for further information.

Caregiver Resources

You may be providing care to a person aged 60 or over, or you may be a grandparent raising grandchildren. We can help! We can offer information and assistance to connect caregivers to service agencies that can help. When caregivers need to take a short break from their responsibilities in home, adult daycare, and oversight services are available. This program also assists Grandparents raising Grandchildren.

For further information, please click Here.

Other Resources

The National Council on the Aging created BenefitsCheckUp to help older adults quickly identify programs that may improve the quality of their lives. Family and friends can also obtain facts about benefits that their loved ones may qualify for. Visit Benefits Checkup

Additional Links of interest:

Illinois Department of Aging –

Northeastern Illinois Area Agency on Aging (NEILAAA) –

The Outreach Program is designed to seek out seniors who are not aware of the services provided by the health department. Staff in this program work hard to inform the public of our services by providing educational classes, attending health fairs, making presentations before local community groups, and making home visits to distribute information on our services.

For more information on the following services please call (815) 941-3121

Home Delivered Meals

Nutritious meals may be delivered to eligible persons.

Community Care Program

Assistance with personal care, shopping, light housework, meal preparation, etc.

Visit the National Council on the Aging website. It provides help for senior citizens and their families to find information about state and federal benefits. Visit Benefits Checkup –


Brandon Mabrey, Safety & Emergency Response Coordinator

Download the Grundy County Medication Screening and Consent form  PDF 

Since September 11, 2001, there have been presidential directives requiring government agencies to implement an Incident Command system and train staff in All Hazards Preparedness. Emergency Response Planning has grown from a focus on Bioterrorism to an All Hazards Emergency Plan. Response to pandemic influenza, terrorist agents, nuclear disasters, as well as weather related incidents are addressed in the plan. All would present emergency situations that would require a public health response.

Information pertaining to Public Health Emergency Preparedness

1: To be better prepared for Emergency Situations click on the following links:

Take our Emergency Preparedness Survey

    Red Cross Terrorism Preparedness

    Citizen’s Emergency Handbook 

   Emergency Information located on the Grundy County Website

2: For further information on Bioterrorism visit:

    Illinois Department of Public Health’s Website on Bioterrorism 

Volunteer Information

Our Volunteer Coordinator is focusing on recruiting, training, and maintaining our current Emergency Preparedness Volunteer Corp, currently at 50 volunteers. Our volunteers are from all walks of life and bring a lot of experience to the table for us to utilize in our Points of Dispensing Sites (P.O.D.S.).  Our goal for the future is to have a volunteer corps of 300+ volunteers.   Please see our MRC page for more information.

In case of an Emergency:

In case of an emergency, we are asking all Grundy County residents to have completed a Medication Screening and Consent form. This form would be used to determine medication type for you and your family. Please print and keep this form in a secure place. We also encourage all residents to have an Emergency Preparedness Kit in their homes.

In an emergency, you will be directed to bring this form to a Dispensing Site.

Click here for instructions on how to make your Emergency Preparedness Kit

Translate »