Grundy County

Land Use

Welcome to the Grundy Land Use Department

Ensuring a Sustainable Future for Grundy: Building, Planning, and Conserving Together

Our goal

To promote a safe, healthy, balanced community that preserves our natural resources and educates our residents to continue this pursuit for future generations of Grundy residents.

Land Use Department consists of three offices: Building Office Planning and Zoning Office Environmental and Resource Conservation Office or ERCO

Media Releases

Flooded Home Information

Unincorporated Grundy County Homes with Flood Damaged Homes Require Permits

Residents who are living in unincorporated Grundy County (not in a city or village) that have had damage in the last flooding conditions are required to get a building permit for the renovation work that may be necessary.

Our office completes a full plan review that ensures that the construction proposed complies with the 2018 International Residential Code and the 2017 National Electric Code. Also before a permit is issued, our assistant does make sure that the contractor is properly licensed with Grundy County.

Special conditions may be applied to buildings that have a total cost of repairs that is 50 percent or more of the structure’s pre-flood market value. If a building is found to be damaged 50 percent or more, regulations require that repairs do not begin until that structure complies with the floodplain ordinance. This may require elevating or flood-proofing the structure to prevent future damage to the structure in future flooding conditions.

Repair costs are calculated by assuming that the structure will be fully repaired to the pre-damaged condition. The total cost calculation is completed by our office and includes the structural materials, finish materials, and labor even if the homeowner decides to complete the work themselves. Since damages based on flooding conditions is tracked by the community, state, and federal agencies, repetitive damage of the structures is also considered for homes that are within the floodplain regions.

State and federal assistance may be available to property owners to reduce the changes of future flood damage. Mitigation assistance may cover costs of relocation, or elevating the structure. Residents with a flood insurance policy may also be eligible to obtain up to $30,000 to protect a structure from future flood damage.

If there are any questions concerning building permits, please feel free to contact me, Heidi Miller, at my office at (815) 941-3229 or email at

Thank you!

Toy Event

November 17, 2023 through December 8, 2023

Tire Recycling Event

no events scheduled at this time

Book Drive

June 1, 2023 through July 14, 2023


September 16, 2023

Paint Collection

May through October 31, 2023

Shred Events

September 16, 2023

Reusable Halloween Bags to Preschools

October 2023

Land Use Committee

Jerry White


Ann Gill

Vice Chair

James Riley

Tina Jenkins

Harold Vota

Nathanael Green 

Joshua Harris


Contact Us

Heidi H. Miller



Beth Skoff



Bob Pazely

Building & Zoning Officer

Sean Wardell

Plumbing Inspector

Click here for the 2023 Land Use Department Environmental Events


Land Use Business Office


Grundy County Administration Building

1320 Union Street
Morris, IL 60450


Monday – Friday: 8am – 4:30pm

Translate »