Grundy County Veterans’ Assistance
The Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission (GCVAC) is an independent county commission that is operated by and for veterans for the purpose of promoting the welfare of honorably discharged veterans of military service, and their families; to act as a central service office for all veteran organizations and to assist with all VA claims work referred to the commission by member organizations and the community; and to have general oversight of the distribution of all relief and supplies that may be appropriated for the benefit of military veterans and their families.
We offer free assistance with the following federal, state and local Veterans benefits:
- Assistance with enrollment in the VA health care system
- Assistance with applying for VA compensation claims (for service connected illness or injury)
- Assistance in applying for VA disability pensions for wartime veterans and their surviving spouses
- Non-emergency transportation to and from U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers
- Financial Assistance for eligible veterans and dependents for basic needs
- VA Educational Benefits (GI Bill)
- Burial Benefits to include grave markers
- Military record retrieval
- Referral to other program and services to include those offered by the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs (IDVA) and other Will & Grundy County agencies.
Please contact us for additional details on these and other programs at:
Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission
1320 Union Street
Morris, IL 60450
815-941-3152 or VAC@grundycountyil.gov
General Office hours are: Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM / 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
The majority of veterans programs and services require active service in the United States Armed Forces and whose last discharge from the service was Honorable. The Veteran MUST provide proof of service and honorable discharge when requesting service or when enrolling into programs (DD-214 or other official discharge documents – we can assist in getting these records).
The Grundy County veteran’s service organizations that are members of this commission are:
Mazon American Legion #352
Morris American Legion #294
Morris AMVETS #0053
Coal City VFW #1336
Disabled American Veterans #86
Minooka American Legion Post #1188
Morris VFW #6049
Gardner American Legion #663
Grundy County Marine Corps League
Forty & Eight Local 1195
The Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission meets monthly on the Third Saturday of each month at 10:00 AM. Veterans and the public are welcome to attend, contact the office for the location of the meeting.