Assumed Business Name Certificate

Assumed Name / Doing Business AsFILING:

Any person or persons conducting business in Grundy County under an assumed name other than their real name or names of the owner(s) conducting or transacting the business are required to file an Assumed Business Name Certificate application with the County Clerk in the county in which the business is located. This requirement includes registration for sole proprietorships and general partnerships.

The certificate must be filed in each county where the owners have a business location. All physical addresses where the person or persons conduct or transact business or intend to conduct or transact business must be listed on the application. P.O. Boxes are not acceptable.

The full name or names of the person or persons owning, conducting or transacting the business must be shown. Their full and complete residential address (include P.O. Box if applicable) of each person or persons must be listed.

The filing fee for the initial application is $39.00. Please make checks payable to the Grundy County Clerk.

Once filed, the owners will receive a copy of the processed application and a notice that must be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the business is or will be conducted.

Acceptable newspapers for Grundy County are the:

You must publish once a week for three consecutive weeks. The first of the notices must be published within 15 days from the date of filing the Assumed Business Name Certificate application.

Proof of publication must be filed within 50 days of filing the certificate. A photocopy of the notice is not sufficient. The applicant must provide a signed Certificate of Publication with a clipping of the ad attached. The newspaper should provide this for the applicant. Failure to provide the proof of publication within 50 days renders the registration VOID.

The business will receive a Certificate of Ownership of Business from the County Clerk once all filing requirements have been completed.

If any person changes his legal name, residence address or the address of the business or if another person or persons is (are) added or withdrawn, a supplemental certificate may need to be filed and published. The business owner should contact the clerk’s office for additional information

Businesses that are incorporated (limited partnership) or a corporation should file with the Illinois Secretary of State, Business Services Department, 328 Howlett Building, Springfield, IL 62756
(217) 782-7880.

If you have any questions, please call the Grundy County Clerk’s office at (815) 941-3222.